In order to obtain a first-time passport, an applicant needs to fill out an Application for a U.S. Passport, Click Here to download the application or Click Here to fill the form online. The applicant may then deliver the application together with a citizenship document, such as a certified birth certificate or a naturalization certificate; an identification document, such as a valid driver's license; and a passport photo. Photos can also be taken in the Auditor's Office for a fee of $10.00. A passport book is valid for ten years. The cost is $110.00 for an adult plus a $35.00 execution fee.
Also available is a passport card designed for people to use when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. If traveling by airplane, you must have a passport book, but if you are crossing the border by car, you may use the passport card. The fee for just the passport card is $30.00 and is wallet size.
Please bring the following documents when you apply for your passport:
Applicants over 16 years of age:
- original birth certificate or certified copy. (Certified copies may be obtained from the County Recorder of the County and State in which you were born) (Not a document from the hospital in which you were born)
- Photocopy of birth certificate
- Driver's license or other form of identification
- Check or money order (US State Dept. will not accept credit cards or cash)
- Check, money order, or cash for the processing fee, and photograph (if no legitimate photo is provided)
Minors under age 16:
In addition to the above, except driver's license, the following:
- Both parents must be present or one parent present and one parent having provided a notarized consent
- Drivers' licenses of parents (or copy of front and back if providing a consent)
You may get your passport in the Auditor's office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. If you have any questions you can call the office at 319-824-3122, or you may visit Travel.State.Gov for additional passport and international travel information.